Headers, Intake, & Exhaust Custom Exhaust? New Headers? Need Opinions on Intakes? Discuss making your ride breathe better here...

help

Search this Thread

Old 09-13-2009, 04:09 AM
Default help

ok so im new to this car stuff and tryng to learn as much as possible. my senior project for school is to fix up my whip so guys pls be patient with me and dont shoot on me so much im really tryng hard to lear. ok
so i got a new exaust tip for my sl2 my mentor for project said next step is intake and headers so can you guys help me with that.

Old 09-13-2009, 04:10 AM

hard to LEARN by bad spelling error

Old 09-13-2009, 07:36 AM
Super Moderator

To get more performance from any header you put on, you'd have to do the rest of the exhaust with larger piping (2 1/4" ? ) and probably a cat back exhaust.

I believe OBX makes a SS header that fits a 98 SL2 but it will cost you a few benjamins....

As for intakes: Many folks use AEM ram intakes.

google alot and check ebay

Old 09-13-2009, 03:42 PM

thank you. very much. ok derf so whats the least i should spend on a decent one and whats the most i should spend like so i dont waste any money

Old 11-22-2015, 06:14 PM

Hello. Not sure if you've done this already, but the obx header on eBay is nearly $200 including shipping etc... I'm going to buy one for my ride after the holidays. AEM intakes are big money. You can get a cold air intake new for about $70 on eBay as opposed to spending hundreds on an AEM though I don't knock their product. Invest in a hi-flow cat. They are sooo much better than stock. OBX does offer a cat back that sounds nice, not like a bee stuck in a tin can, but they are in the ballpark of $400. If you know how to weld you can get away a lot cheaper with universal fit parts. Otherwise, just keep it stock. You could spend a million dollars on an exhaust and intake with minimal gains. Just browse the tech area and start typing keywords and you'll find 99% of the time these guys have a lot of trial and error experience and a lot of what works best to save you cash. Check out the classifieds section too. Anyway, hope this helps. Good luck with your build!

Old 11-22-2015, 06:35 PM
Talking

Sorry everyone... Just saw the date on this thread. Duh!

Old 11-22-2015, 08:15 PM
Super Moderator

We don't mind reviving old posts. Just remember if you have to smog check your car please check the allowed modifications. A lot of states do not allow any exhaust modifications.

Old 11-22-2015, 08:20 PM

I haven't personally done it, but I have read people buying those $40 ebay intakes, and putting a good filter on it (aem, k&n, etc) and getting the same sound out of it.

I have also read people buying ebay exhausts, and some being as good, if not better, than the name brand ones.

Old 11-23-2015, 01:34 AM
Super Moderator

we should have recommended the Turbinator for his build.....

16 people watching that useless POS on Ebay right now

It just won't go away.......I've been making that joke for 10 years

Old 11-23-2015, 01:54 AM

Must be good if it has been around 10 years......

Quick Reply: help