General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

What happens when muffler patch kit fails?

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2011, 01:18 PM
Default What happens when muffler patch kit fails?

I patched up a small hole, about the size of a nickel, on the muffler of my 95 Saturn with one of those patch kits. I let it cure for a week and even ran it for about 15 minutes to let it cure with the exhause heat. It seemed pretty solid as I poked and prodded it. But when I took it for a test drive up to 80 mph, I inspected it and it seemed the area bubbled up a little, but didn't give way. What happens if it gave way or popped open, will there be some sort of backfire or something? Just concerned because it's going to be my son's car and I don't want him alarmed with something because it may happened. Thanks.

Old 01-30-2011, 06:55 PM
Banned

Out of my area of expertise. Mississippi won't let you "patch" a muffler. Something about carbon monoxide poisoning .......

Old 01-31-2011, 08:33 AM

scrape that junk off ,clean the area with a stiff wire brush .mix 2 parts jb weld and apply to the area .
done

Old 02-01-2011, 07:20 AM

Done ........ cept your not. Rust doesn't stop, so get ready to **** away more money till you decide to replace the rusted parts.

Old 02-01-2011, 07:39 AM
Banned

Don't know just how adept you are with tools, but you might want to contact the local U-Pull-It yards and see what they'd charge for a muffler (and the cat) from another Saturn ...

Old 02-01-2011, 08:30 AM

I gotta go along with the rest. When mufflers need repairs it is because they need replacing!
All the wishful thinking in the word is not going to fix a rusty muffler.
That is why people make and sell muffler fix it kits.
Other people buy them, over and over and over again. The sole purpose of those is to remove money from your wallet.
The only fix is replacement and then you can stop worrying.

Old 02-02-2011, 10:33 AM

Thanks for all the responses. The only reason why I resorted to patching was because overall, the muffler and exhaust system were really in good shape for a Florida car. I drove my old pickup truck with a tailpipe that was virtually ready to fall off, but it sounded nice and throaty, lol. But the Saturn we just got is really virtually rustless, considering it was owned by a person who lived off the beach coast and I know the body panels don't rust, but I was pleasantly surprised that the undercarriage was basically rustless, it must have been garage kept. But yes, only the muffler had that nickle-sized hole but other than that, the rest of the muffler was in decent shape. So far, the patch job held up and I will be commuting with it to and from work for a few weeks just to work on that and other "kinks or quirks" just test drive its worthiness until I turn it over to my son, who's basically going to use it to make grocery (not beer, lol) runs on and off campus not more than 10 miles from his dorm room and go out with friends once in a while, but he won't be taking it on long trips except when taking it home 2.5 hours away, but that's not regularly. Most of the time, he won't even get the car fully warmed up when he uses it 2-3 times a week to make those grocery runs.