General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Temperature Light?

Old 12-01-2006, 11:44 PM

Hey guys..

I'm new to the forum. I drive a 97 Saturn SL2. For about the past 2-3 months I've been having a light in my dash come on and flash at me. It's located on the right side just above the temperature gauge. It has 2 things to it. One looks like a thermometer and the other looks like a jug with liquid in it and it has an arrow pointing downward to the liquid. Any ideas what this is and what it means?

The light doesn't come on at any specific time, it will come on when I start the engine then it will be off for a while and just come on at random times while driving. I've checked all my fluids and they seem to be fine.

I've seen a lot of talk about replacing the ECTS (Engine Coolant Temp Sensor) in the forums while I was searching for any suggestions. Would this possibly be causing this?

Any help would be great.

Thanks ahead of time....[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 12-02-2006, 02:34 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds more like a bad coolant level sensor.Crazy random temp light dash blinking when this sensor flakes out. Either that or the connection to it is loose.

It is located at the bottom of the coolant expansion reservoir.

While you're at it -- if you've never replaced your ECTS, do so now with a brass tipped replacement from Saturn. Also, replace the ECTS connector (Saturn only part).

Derf

Edited by: derf