General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Steering issue 2000 SL1

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2016, 06:54 AM
Banned
Default Steering issue 2000 SL1

283000 miles, new tie rod ends inner and outer. Cv joints are tight, shafts look to be good. Bushings are starting to show dry cracking. I have not looked at the strut bearings or top bushings. Rear bushings are very dry cracked. Right front wheel is a little sloppy at 3-9 ( new wheel bearing by me and tie rods by PO)

Now for the issue, when taking right turns above 30 MPH it will "skip" and turn more/further/more aggressively.

This tells me something is worn out and needs to be replaced.
Leaning towards rear suspension or rack

Opinions?

Old 09-17-2016, 04:54 PM
Super Moderator

1) Can you please be more specific in describing
Right front wheel is a little sloppy at 3-9 ( new wheel bearing by me and tie rods by PO)

2) For 30+ turns, what is skipping? Back end hopping around? Front end oversteer? Do you hear the tires screechhopping?

When was the last alignment? What is the wear pattern on the tires?

Old 09-17-2016, 05:21 PM

What does the wheel do when you rock it in the 12:00 and 6:00 position. Have you even looked at the ball joints? And with that many miles, the lower control arm bushing are more than likely toast. Take a good look at them. On my PT Cruiser it was just easier and not much more expensive to just replace the LCA's than buy bushings and ball joints and find someone to press them in since I don't have a press. We need a LITTLE more info.

Old 09-18-2016, 08:57 AM

As a some what accomplished back yard mechanic taking a look at the suspension and steering of "my" Saturn, a 94 I have to realize that there are no grease fittings anywhere on the car so the routine maintenance I grew up with, that of greasing the front end with up to 11 or so places to grease is a whole lot different than nothing.
The vehicle was not made (in reality) to be trouble free over 200k miles and while it is amazing as to how well the thing has worn and been trouble free with out a greasable part in it and some point things will just wear out. Granted I have returned to service some high mileage AMC cars which included a total rebuild of the front suspension, that is ball joints, tie rod ends, bushings for the control arms, pitman and steering arms and a few other misc. parts all of which while serviceable where as the Saturns are not, the Saturn parts have worn better. So go figure but the bottom line still is, stuff wears out. Some where you kinda have to call it quits. That said, can you be more specific as to the symptoms? I'm with Derf, I can not relate to what you are describing.

Old 09-18-2016, 06:07 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by derf
1) Can you please be more specific in describing
Right front wheel is a little sloppy at 3-9 ( new wheel bearing by me and tie rods by PO)
Next to no movement top to bottom, 3-9 is loose but not nearly as loose as before i replaced the worn wheel bearing, the outer tie rod has only 1/32" play when compressed with large slip joint pliers. Might be the inner tie rod.
Not sure...

2) For 30+ turns, what is skipping?
Goes from gentle turn to jumping to more aggressive turn.

Back end hopping around?
Not sure

Front end oversteer?
Not sure

Do you hear the tires screechhopping?
No sound from the tires.

When was the last alignment?
Last july.

What is the wear pattern on the tires?
Even

Ball joints look sound.... No torn boots no excessive movement with the slip joint plier check.

Last edited by derf; 09-19-2016 at 03:18 AM. Reason: fixed formatting