General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

injector problems

Old 04-24-2010, 01:51 PM
Unhappy injector problems

This is a 91 sl1 with a 1.9 dohc. With all injectors pluged in the car will start and die. with the connector for injector 2 disconnected the car will start and run on the other 3 cylinders. as soon as you plug it back in the car will die. I am wondering if this is a pcm problem or something similiar. Also both wires on the injector connector have batt voltage. Have checked for codes the only thing is code 26 for quad driver. Any info would be very helpful. thank you.

Old 04-24-2010, 05:09 PM
Super Moderator

If it has a DOHC, it's an SL2....

With the engine off, pull the injector connectors and measure the resistance of each injector and report back.

One thing that came to mind (though we need to do some more troubleshooting) is that the injector my be stuck open when connected and dumping so much fuel that the rest of the cyls are not getting sufficient fuel for the engine to run.

I will brush up on fuel injection system behavior for the earlier cars -- they had different types of injectors than the later years

As for Code 26

quad driver fault codes are almost never from actual quad driver failure

from one of my earlier posts-----
Originally Posted by derf
code 26 (quad driver output fault) is almost never the actual quad driver within the PCM itself; it is almost always something hanging off that circuit. This circuit is used to simultaneously monitor the status of

SES circuit
Coolant Hot light
cooling fan relay
A/C clutch
Speedometer Cutout
Upshift/Shift to D2 light
EGR solenoid
Canister purge solenoid

Diag in the order listed.

Last edited by derf; 04-24-2010 at 11:42 PM.