General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

HELP!! I tried installing after market stereo and now my 1999 Saturn SL2 WONT CRANK!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 06:41 PM
Default HELP!! I tried installing after market stereo and now my 1999 Saturn SL2 WONT CRANK!!

HELP!! I tried installing after market stereo and now my 1999 Saturn SL2 WONT CRANK!!

Let me start by saying....I have read lots of threads about "car not cranking" but none had to do with stereo install..It was very informative though, you guys definetly know what your talking about and pray you can help me in my time of need..

I just bought a used 1999 Saturn SL2, automatic, no radio in car, so I decided to install a stereo I had in the garage, I will explain in detail what I did so maybe someone knows what happened..

I cut the black ground wire from saturn harness and attached to my stereo, I heard some static from speakers so I knew I was on the right track, then I "stupidly" cut the rest of the wires from harness as there wasn't alot of room to do one wire at a time hook up without them all being loose..(( trust me after reading the threads I realize how stupid it is to cut original wire harness)) I started attaching the wires that go to my stereo and then I checked to see if stereo working, and it wasn't so I decided to crank the engine to not drain battery while tinkering with wires, NO CRANK... I thought that I had just drained the brand new battery, so I put it on a charge overnight and still this morning no crank, even though the battery is fully charged... When I turn the key, I get all the dash lights on as usual I hear a click at center console, but the engine doesn't crank at all, I checked all the "ignition fuses" they are all ok, Is there something that I may have tripped when I cut all the stereo wires? oh by the way, I hooked all the wires back up and still no start, now on this car it has "2" brown wires, and "2" yellow wires, and of course since I just went in and started chopping I am not sure which one goes to which , I tried switching the yellow ones around and still no start...
Can anyone help???
Thank you in advance, I surely pray I am not the only idiot that has cut the original factory stereo harness and someone knows how to fix it..
Laurie in NH
Tig988@aol.com

Old 09-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

....OA to the rescue????

Old 09-19-2009, 06:44 PM
Default OA???

OA???

Old 09-20-2009, 08:00 PM
Super Moderator

OA= OceanArcher = fellow forum member who is good with stereo wiring (and a WHOLE lot more)

Old 09-21-2009, 06:49 AM
Banned

Please excuse the delay, but I've been out of town, and didn't have a 'puter with me.

To recap, you CUT the existing radio connector off, and started to hookup your after-market radio one wire at a time? You also CUT a ground wire from your wiring harness?

Why did you not get/buy/obtain/steal (whatever) an adapter connector to bridge from the OEM wiring to your new radio??

Well, let's make sure were only chasing one problem: If you don't already have one, go to AutoZone (or similar), and purchase a mechanic's remote start switch (it's a heavy duty pushbutton with 6 foot leads on it). Get under the car (safely please) and connect one lead to where the heavy battery cable is connected on the starter. Connect the other lead to the terminal on the starter with the PPL wire. Now get out from under the car.

Turn the ignition switch to ON/RUN position, and press the remote starter button. The engine should crank, and hopefully start. If it does, that means that in your radio installation 'cutting frenzy' you managed to also cut the PPL control wire.

Write back, and let us know what you find