General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

fuel gauge problem helllpppppppp

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2013, 02:46 PM
Default fuel gauge problem helllpppppppp

My fuel gauge needle is jumping around. I fill up my tank and if I go up a hill the needle gauge jumps down so the idiot light goes on that I am low on gas. Okay so I bring it in to my mechanic this week he says that this is a common saturn problem and says there is a part that will fix the problem. No need to replace the whole fuel tank just get this part. Sorry but I do not have part number here with me. So he goes to test the car after part is put in and says it is still not working right? So what I thought would be a 4 hour job had brake job done also is now turning into a 2 day job. So they are now trying to trouble shoot the problem? Maybe a wiring problem? Anyone had this problem?

Last edited by sw2cam; 07-31-2013 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 02:52 PM
Banned

I'm sorry. but I do not understand... You brought your car to a mechanic to fix a problem with your fuel gauge, and he spends 4 hours working on the brakes, and when he is finished, the gauge still doesn't work right??? What am I missing here?

Old 07-31-2013, 03:02 PM
Default fuel gauge problem

Sorry for not being clear. I brought my 2001 saturn in for brake problem, oil change, and to fix my fuel gauge problem. At this point the brakes are done, and the oil change. But the fule gauge is still not working after the part has been put in. sorry I do not have my receipt with me with the p/n.
I remember the mechanic saying when I brought the car in yesterday that this is a common problem with GM cars? Never had this happen before.
So the problem now is that the tech test drove the car after putting this part in and the gauge still jumping around. That was yesterday so I call this am and they are still working on trying to find out why after putting this part in the fuel gauge still not working.

Old 07-31-2013, 04:52 PM

I'd like to know what the so called problem with Saturn cars is. Seeing I've owned a number of them without a problem. I've driven nothing but Saturn's for the last 13 years so I'd like to know what to look out for.

Maybe this "mechanic" is a former Boeing engineer and really has no idea what he's doing.

Last edited by sw2cam; 07-31-2013 at 04:57 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 05:59 PM

Yeah, the 2 Saturns I have owned have never had a fuel gauge problem. Also, the fuel sending unit is built into the fuel pump unit, not the fuel tank, is it not? Why would one need an entire fuel tank for the sending unit. Sounds fishy.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:01 PM

They used to put for lack of a better term baffles in the fuel tank to keep fuel from moving uncontrollably in the tank to allow the gage to read right but I not sure if they still do that or not. The baffles would come loose from time to time.

Old 07-31-2013, 07:11 PM

lol

no need to replace the whole fuel tank, or the taillights. I can fix it, I built the Dreamliner. I know fuel and electrical.

Old 09-06-2022, 05:55 PM
Default Well I have an 01

I’m having the same problem with my 2001 SC 2 accept you don’t have to be on an incline for my needle to drop! I’ll pump the car full of gas . Get into the car sitting on a half tank. and I’ve done it enough times and yes I have actually topped off. Also I will be driving down the road the needle will drop below empty what’s the light coming on then it goes all the way back up to full . I have not taken mine in yet I would like to know what is causing it if you find out please let us know

Old 09-06-2022, 08:20 PM
Super Moderator

Fuel pump and sender are 21 yrs old.

Wiring at sender? Loose ground?
Wiring between sender and BCM? 3rd gen s cars had bcms, so fuel sender signal would go to BCM, then BCM to instrument cluster. Loose or corroded connection anywhere along the way....

If the rest of the dash is not freaking out when this is happening, that would be my guess.

If you do drop the tank, you need to get the rear end at least 24 in off the ground to have enough clearance to drop the tank and get it out from under the car.