General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

Can't find the low side port on my 2000 LS2

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2009, 08:54 PM
Default Can't find the low side port on my 2000 LS2

Long story short, the air conditioner isn't blowing cold air anymore, so I figure it just needs more refrigerant. The thing is I've no idea where the low side port is to my air conditioner in the car (and the owners booklet is anything but helpful). I found something that seems like its the port, however when I plugged in the nozzle attachment of the refrigerant kit I got, the PSI shot up to 80 (basically WELL into the warning zone) so I undid it and left it alone after that.

The thing is though I don't know if the pressure is extremely high and then will get lower when I turn the car on and the AC on full blast so that I can add the refrigerant in or if I ended up finding the high side port on the car instead and it'll only get higher when i turn on the car.

If you want to know which port I tried, its the one on the passenger side of the engine. There's a bit of empty space and you look down and there's this almost canister looking thing with a couple of metal pipes extending from it. I'm horrible at explaining things, I apologize. I hope i'm clear enough.

Old 08-16-2009, 11:51 PM
Super Moderator

The refrigerant kit will only fit the low side port, so indeed you've already located it.

The system maintains a static pressure at all times. 80psi without the A/C running is ok -- it will drop down considerably when the compressor kicks in.......

Old 08-17-2009, 12:01 AM

Originally Posted by derf
The refrigerant kit will only fit the low side port, so indeed you've already located it.

The system maintains a static pressure at all times. 80psi without the A/C running is ok -- it will drop down considerably when the compressor kicks in.......
In that case then that's perfect, i'll fiddle around with it tomorrow then. Hopefully it just needs the refrigerant and that's that.

Thank you very much!

Old 08-17-2009, 12:07 AM
Super Moderator

please check back in with results....

Old 08-17-2009, 05:52 PM

Originally Posted by derf
please check back in with results....
Well I finally went out there and tried it out, but sadly it didn't work.

I turned on the car, put the AC on full blast, and I plugged the charger thing in there and tried charging it. However it just wouldn't charge. I pull the trigger and the PSI just remained at 0, even after shaking it and rotating it and moving it upside down and all of that, it just wouldn't work.

However just out of curiosity I pulled the trigger thing on my refuel kit without it being plugged in and honestly it didn't feel like the air was coming out that strongly at all, so i'm not sure if there was a fault with the can or what. Maybe I screwed it in too tight or i don't know. :/

Either that or there's a leak in the system, but then again if that was the case than it wouldn't have been at 80PSI yesterday. Maybe there's just something up with the canister, but i'm scared to unscrew it a little because I've grown rather fond of my hands these past 25 years if i'm honest.

Old 08-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Super Moderator

usually its a schraeder valve fitting on the A/C line that the recharge fitting must firmly seat/attach to in order for the refrig can to be allowed to expel its contents. Sounds like you didn't get the connector firmly attached -- therefore the pressure read zero cuase you weren't connected to anything. You'll know when you get it attached cuase it will normally click into place.

Don't be afraid to try it again -- just wear some gloves and eye protection.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:27 PM

I tried to click it in there and I did get it to lock in there, but you're saying it might have to go in further or perhaps there will be a more pronounced click or locking feeling?

That makes sense. I noticed when I squeezed it like halfway the pressure got all weird, but when i squeezed it all the way or not at all the pressure stayed at zero.

I'll have to try this again tomorrow then. Heck, maybe i'll screw with it in a few just to get it over with, we'll see. Either way thank you so much for your help thus far. Even if the problem turns out to be out of my control I still appreciate the advice you've given.

Old 08-17-2009, 09:51 PM

I went out there and tried it again and more bad news I suppose.

I went to the car, turned it on and turned the AC on full blast, undid the valve cover, and then I tried putting the thing on there again, arranging it differently until I felt it locked into place, and finally after some fiddling around I got in locked on there properly this time, except the PSI shot up to 100+ (off the charts basically).

So now i'm at a loss >_<

I suppose tomorrow I could take some pictures of the engine and show you which valve i'm messing with in case it turns out I am messing with the wrong valve.

Old 09-07-2009, 08:59 AM
Banned

Surkis -- Did you ever get your A/C problem sorted out, or are you still running around "hot under the collar" ??