General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

96 SL2: No start, No turn-over

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 05:41 AM

I have been researching on this site to help me troubleshoot my problem: oil in the spark plug well (first one on the left if you open the hood and look at the engine). A friend and I decided maybe it was the valve cover gasket, so I planned to replace that as well as spark plugs. The car would crank (turn over). Hoping to get it started and make it about a mile away to my home to work on the car, I did the following: tonight I took the oily spark plug out, cleaned it with parts cleaner, checked the gap and lightly sanded the metal to ensure good spark connection, wiped out the plug well to clear it of oil, put the plug back in, attempted to start the car, but now it will not even turn over instead of the cranking "err-err-err" sound before the car starts, I now get one continuous "errrrrrrrr", no turning over sound, almost as if there’s no compression, I don’t hear anything going on at all. Any input is very much appreciated as I really would like to fix it myself before having to pay loads to have it towed and fixed somewhere. Feel free to e-mail me : turbota633@yahoo.com ThanksEdited by: sw2cam

Old 02-05-2008, 06:36 PM

if the hole was full of oil might have hydro lock pull the plug out and crank it over

Old 02-05-2008, 09:43 PM

Oil in the spark plug hole ...... cam cover gasket.

I'm not sure what errr means so I'll pass on that one.Edited by: sw2cam

Old 02-06-2008, 06:02 AM

Thanks guys. I plan to conduct the hydro lock check tonight, that makes sense though. As for the "errr" sound, haha, sounds are hard to put into words sometimes....I am referring to the sound you get after you turn the key, the sound it makes while it is attempting to start. RRR-RRR-RRR-Vroom (vroom represents the car starting). Thats the best I can describe it. Thanks all.

-Joe

Old 03-08-2008, 08:27 PM

If your cam cover gasket is leaking it could have leaked on to the starter motor causing it not to engage the flywheel. If the errrr sounds like just a gear turning, you should replace the starter and immediately fix the leaky cam cover gasket.

-JOE