General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

92 sl2 no spark and no clue

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 08:19 PM

so here it is, the car is 1992 1.9l dohc manual trans sl2. the problem started a few days ago. i was leaving work when the car died like the battery was dead and the alternator was not charging. i jumped the vehicle with another car and it ran fine for a few blocks and died. during that time my dash lights would not turn on. the car was completely dead. the next day i replaced the alternator and the battery with brand new parts. after they were installed the engine turns over but not start. i pulled a spark plug from all four cylinders one at a time to check for spark and nothin from any of them. so i replaced the coil packs. nothing. so i replaced the pcm, still nothing, so i replaced the dis module under the coil packs. guess what nothing. no spark. i've cleaned grounds and tested the current going to and from just about anything. any help, any avenue i haven't already attempted or thought PLEASE HELP ME. I feel like im taking crazy pills.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:25 AM
Super Moderator

Replace crankshaft position sensor (CPS).

No spark whatsoever-- usually not </span>coil related since both modules would have to have gone bad simultaneously...DIS does not often go bad --usually it is best to replace {both coil packs + DIS} as a "set" (they are sold as a single item). Also likely not PCM related unless SES light is on and you are recieving internal PCM fault codes.....

Please let us know.

Derf

Old 01-26-2007, 10:46 PM

i replaced the cps, also the temp sensor. i tested the original parts for the proper resistance and they turned out fine, including the coils. my ses light is not coming on at all. i have two dif pcms, one refurb, one original, neither made a dif. i checked the timing chain, ok. it just cranks and cranks. theres no arc anywhere between the coils and the plugs. im am truly dumbfounded.

Old 01-26-2007, 10:47 PM

alos i tested the obd1 and it came back with zero fault codes. i tried to short the terminals manually and it did nothing the fan came on, and the coolant light lit up, but ses light is nowhere to be seen

Old 01-27-2007, 10:24 AM
Super Moderator

Is the replacemet battery the correct one for the car (same capacity and size class, etc...)? Are you SURE there is not a burned IGN fuse somewhere?

Pull each pair of coil tower connections separately. Crank the engine. If you are getting juice to the coils + DIS is functional, you should see a small arc between the two posts.

Are you sure the mating surface under the coil packs is clean and free of corrosion? The coil packs use this as their ground (along with the bolts that hold them down -- bad ground here will inhibit spark.....

Are replacement coil packs new or used? Same ? about DIS......