General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

05 vue with 2.2 & 4t45e

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2017, 04:43 PM
Default 05 vue with 2.2 & 4t45e

hello all, i bought this vue always heard saturns was a good car. its a 2005 saturn vue with 100,000 miles, not too bad. i knew i was going to have to atleast put a new timing chain due to timing guide. got it home, found big hole in oil pan. oh well, new engine. i found one out of a 2006 colbolt. bought it, as a precaution i put new timing, guides, water pump ect... runs great.... drove it, getting po700 and po757 codes... ok changed filter and fluid... by the way there was 13 quarts came out just from pan drop, omg... figured out how to check fluid in this strange sealed tranny.... fluid wasnt too bad, not burnt no metal... test it out, same 2 codes... bought 2 new solenoids, put in.... same codes.... racking my brain, HELP PLEASE ... confuzzled.

2005 saturn vue
4t45e trans
100,000 miles

Old 02-25-2017, 07:13 PM
Super Moderator

Circuit Description

The 2-3 shift solenoid (SS) valve is a normally-open exhaust valve that, in conjunction with the 1-2 SS valve, allows 4 different shifting combinations. Refer to Shift Solenoid Valve State and Gear Ratio. The 2-3 SS valve is attached to the control valve body within the transmission.

The transmission control module (TCM) monitors the actual gear ratio, and compares the actual gear ratio with the commanded gear ratio. DTC P0757 sets under 2 conditions:
A stuck OFF 2-3 SS valve
A stuck OFF 2-3 shift valve
When the TCM detects a 1-2-2-1 shift pattern, then DTC P0757 sets. DTC P0757 is a type A DTC.

DTC Descriptor

This diagnostic procedure supports the following DTC:

DTC P0757 2-3 Shift Solenoid (SS) Valve Performance - No Third or Fourth Gear

Conditions for Running the DTC

No MAP DTCs P0107 or P0108.
No TP DTCs P0120 or P0220.
No ISS DTCs P0716 or P0717.
No OSS DTCs P0722 or P0723.
No TCC stuck ON DTC P0742.
No 1-2 SS electrical DTCs P0973 or P0974.
No 2-3 SS electrical DTCs P0976 or P0977.
The transmission fluid temperature (TFT) is 20-130°C (68-266°F).
The Calc. Throttle Position is 8 percent or more.
The input speed is 150-6,000 RPM.
The output speed is 200 RPM or more.
The engine torque is greater than 40 N.m (30 lb ft) when 3rd gear is commanded.
The time since the last gear change is 1 second.

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The following occurs twice during the same trip:
The TCM commands 3rd gear and the gear ratio is 1.54:1-1.71:1, 2nd gear, for 2 seconds.
The TCM commands 4th gear and the gear ratio is 1.54:1-3.11:1, 1st gear, for 2 seconds.

Action Taken When the DTC Sets

The TCM requests the ECM to illuminate the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL).
The TCM commands maximum line pressure.
The TCM inhibits 4th gear.
The TCM freezes transmission adaptive functions.
The ECM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The ECM stores this information as Freeze Frame and Failure Records.
The TCM records the operating conditions when the Conditions for Setting the DTC are met. The TCM stores this information as Failure Records.
The TCM stores DTC P0757 in TCM history.

Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

The TCM turns OFF the MIL during the third consecutive trip in which the diagnostic test runs and passes.
A scan tool can clear the MIL/DTC.
The TCM clears the DTC from TCM history if the vehicle completes 40 warm-up cycles without an emission related diagnostic fault occurring.
The TCM cancels the DTC default actions when the ignition switch is OFF long enough in order to power down the TCM.

Diagnostic Aids
If you clear DTC P0757, and then cannot set DTC P0757 again, inspect for the following conditions:
Fluid contamination
Plugged fluid circuits
Restricted fluid circuits

Old 02-25-2017, 07:15 PM

hello again,

im not one to ever put any additives in a car but, last ditch effort... im thinking it could be sticky parts inside valve body. i bought 2 cans of sea foam tranny fluid today... put it in and ran through all gears slow... going to let it sit all night and continue tom... ill keep everyone posted, my fingers are crossed!

Old 02-25-2017, 07:19 PM

hello derf, nice to meet ya ... im hoping and prayin this sea foam works... next i guess ill take out valve body. my wife is really excited and wants this thing, lol it is a pretty looking suv. hoping i can get it going for her.

Old 02-25-2017, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

May also be band/clutch issue --see below

Condition
Some customers may comment on any of the following conditions:

• An illuminated MIL where DTC P0757 is found as a history code in the PCM or TCM.

• No 3rd and 4th gear.

• The transmission does not shift correctly.

• The transmission feels like it shifts to Neutral or a loss of drive occurs.

• The vehicle free wheels above 48 km/h (30 mph). High RPM needed to overcome the free wheeling.

Cause

This condition may be caused by any of the following:

• Chips or debris plugging the bleed orifice of the 2-3 shift solenoid (367). This will cause the transmission to stay in 2nd gear when 3rd gear is commanded and return to 1st gear when 4th gear is commanded.

• A 2-3 shift valve (368) or 2-3 shuttle valve (369) that is stuck, restricted and/or hung-up in its bore.

• This condition may also be an indication of a damaged 2-4 band or 3-4 clutches. This clutch damage may generate debris causing the 2-3 shift valve line-up to stick in the valve body bore and set DTC P0757.

Correction
• Inspect the condition of the transmission fluid for signs of overheat or a burnt odor. If either is noted, the transmission should be disassembled for further investigation and repaired as needed.

• Inspect the inside of the oil pan for signs of clutch friction material. A small amount of friction material in the bottom of the pan is normal. If a large amount of clutch material is noted in the fluid or bottom pan, the transmission should be disassembled for further investigation and repaired as needed.

• Inspect and clean the 2-3 shift valve (368), the 2-3 shuttle valve (369) and the valve bore of debris/metal chips.

• Inspect and clean the 2-3 shift solenoid (367B) opening of debris/metal chips. While inspecting the 2-3 shift solenoid (367B), look for a screen over the solenoid opening. If the solenoid DOES NOT have a screen, replace the solenoid. All current GMSPO stock shift solenoids have a screen over the solenoid opening.

• If clutch debris is found, it is also very important to inspect the pressure control (PC) solenoid valve fluid screens. Clean or replace the PC solenoid as necessary. It is also important to flush and flow check the transmission oil cooler using J 45096. Refer to SI "Automatic Transmission Oil Cooler Flushing and Flow Test" for the procedure.

Refer to the appropriate Service Manual for additional diagnostic information and service procedures.

Old 02-26-2017, 06:07 PM
Default sensors???

im wondering... there where 3 sensors in the old block that we didn't change to new engine. my question is could one of them sensors be causing the codes and not allowing it to shift into 3rd or 4th and if so why wouldn't i get a code for one of the sensors. the engine runs great and shifts fine from first to second. also, i believe the 3 sensors im talking about are all in same spot, in front on drivers side. i uploaded pic to site but cant see where to put in post. one is a knock sensor, and one is a crank position sensor and the other is just a screw in block on one end and a plug on other. UPDATE: The crank and knock sensors are the same but i cant figure out what the last one is.... it just a screw with a place for a wire to plug into.

2005 saturn vue
4t45e trans
100,000 miles

Last edited by confuzzled; 02-26-2017 at 07:37 PM.
Old 02-26-2017, 08:01 PM

Symptoms of a Bad or Failing Transmission Oil Pressure Switch

Common signs include the vehicle entering "limp" mode, having difficulty shifting, and its engine RPM being higher than it should be.

think this could actually be the problem...

saturn vue saturn vue
4t45e trans
100,000 miles

Old 02-26-2017, 09:44 PM
Super Moderator

may be a contributing factor, but the OBDII messages are VERY specific as to what the TCM and ECM sense are wrong.

I've outlined the exact situations that throw a P0757.

Now WHY it throws that code may have several contributing factors.

A failing tranny pressure switch may be involved, but I would think all the shift solenoids would somehow be affected.

No one wants to think that their tranny may have major internal issues, but the possibility should not be ruled out.

Lemme see if I can a pro to give an eval on the forum......

Old 02-26-2017, 10:25 PM

cool, and yes i know but im just trying to eliminate everything else before putting a dif tranny in or rebuild. also, i believe it is best to put all sensors from old engine in new block, i did not. also, i notice my oil light is barely on and in my thoughts im thinking now that it might be going bad or not a good connection. if the thing is working but a bad connection it might be telling pcm that it is working just not enough pressure to tell tranny to shift. i will be doing this tom. ill let yall know. also have not seen one other person with the same two codes as mine. it also dont and will not throw a code until i get to 45 mph. again ty

saturn vue saturn vue
4t45e trans
100,000 miles

Last edited by confuzzled; 02-27-2017 at 10:55 AM.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:56 AM

fingers crossed....

Quick Reply: 05 vue with 2.2 & 4t45e