General Tech Help Good at troubleshooting? Have a non specific issue? Discuss general tech topics here...

gasket help

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 AM
Default gasket help

I am going through my 99 dohc engine and was wondering what brands of gaskets will work the best or will i get a good brand when purchasing a gasket set off of ebay.

Old 06-28-2010, 09:12 AM

You will probably get a good brand off of e-bay, but e-bay is what it is, a place to dump stuff along with people re-selling stuff they buy. I know e-bay can be a good source BUT every time I personally looked for something I found what I wanted to be over priced. So don't use it.
However your local auto parts store is always some place you can touch and feel things and many times (not all but many) the counter guy or girl is knowledgable about the parts they sell. Some times of course the reading capability is questionable so it is up to you to make a decision.
It might be that a local Chevy or other GM dealer can still order factory parts. The Saturn Dealer local here has closed and now sells VW, but the Chevy Dealer has a sign that says they still have or can get parts. I checked it out. They can but despite claims from some, along with o.k. parts or some that arn't quite right, aftermarket also has superior parts. I always ask a counter man if this set of gaskets I want are the best ones they have if I have no other input and if they say they have a better one and it costs more, it usually is a good expenditure.
Sorry my personal recomendation on a brand is lacking. I don't have one. Other than I find that CarQuest and NAPA on the whole carry a better grade of parts accross the board. And I personally have used quite a few stores and dealers for what I needed or wanted at the time.

Old 06-28-2010, 10:02 AM

Alright thanks alot for your help.