Engine & Internal Chat about beefing up your engine's insides here...

02' SL1 head gasket replacement

Old 02-01-2014, 05:50 PM
Banned
Default 02' SL1 head gasket replacement

anyone ever changed a head gasket on their Saturn? how long would it take me?

Old 02-02-2014, 08:48 AM

I've not done it personally, so don't really know. But, it all depends on your mechanical skill level and knowledge. Last time I did a head gasket on a car, it was a V-8 and took me about 6 hours start to finish, but I've been "tinkering" with cars for over 40 years. I'm not afraid to get my hands dirty or tackle anything.

Old 02-02-2014, 09:29 AM
Banned

I am very hands on kind of guy I did a valve cover gasket on an old Calais when I was 16. If I take something apart I am able to put it back togather.

Old 02-02-2014, 12:03 PM

I'd suggest you either try to find a repair manual or just take your digital camera and snap pictures as you go along. It's not really that difficult to do one. If you had the DOHC, that's where problems can arise, getting everything back timed properly. I try to do those with everything timed the way it is and disassemble without moving anything. Not that easy, but it can be done. With the SOHC, I doubt that you'll have much trouble. I'd suggest taking a close look at the timing chain, gears and tensioner while you've got it apart. If any of it looks worn, go ahead and replace them now.

Old 04-17-2014, 01:59 PM

Rube ....... oustanding advice brother. The bloody digital camera or smart phone are tools people forget they have. Taking pictures of the cam timing, the chain, and it's odds ends can save people alot of head aches.

Old 04-18-2014, 09:29 PM

You should be able to tackle that job. While it might sound intimidating, there really isn't too much that is complicated with that job. Remove the intake, radiator hose, plug wires, and such. I would just unbolt the exhaust manifold and leave it attached to the exhaust. Just have a good torque wrench and remember, the head is aluminum, so be careful not to over tighten the small stuff. The big thing is to find out how to time the cam. All my past experience is with the engine at Top Dead Center, but Saturn may do it differently. Line the crank, where it needs to be before removing the cam and timing chain.

Edit: A shortcut to timing would be to mark the chain link and cam sprocket tooth and make certain that the chain doesn't move while unhooked. Not the best way, but it will get you by if you are cautious.

Last edited by Dtruck1; 04-18-2014 at 09:32 PM.
Old 06-16-2014, 06:57 PM

Another trick, adding on to the abovementioned post, in the event it's twin-cam, is to use a paint marker stick, and mark everything you think "might" move at the apex of those items, prior to dis-assembly.
That way, when putting it all back together, as long as the paint stick marks are all at the top, you should be good to go.

Old 03-02-2015, 07:34 PM

just got done doing mine and I recommend putting the cylinder #1 at TDC and use a paint stick and mark the cam timing and remove the exhaust manifold for more space at the rear and it's a one day job

Old 04-26-2015, 05:50 PM

Hi there! I'm new at this sight, but just came across your question. I just did a head gasket and head replacement on my 1993 Saturn SC1, single over head cam. To answer your question, it depends on if you are using hand tools, or have access to a compressor. Using air tools, I would say about a day, with hand tools, a little longer, depending on your experience and selection of available tools. Most importantly are the cam timing, and head torque...follow the head torque sequence to the letter! You can find this information on-line or in your Saturn repair Manual. If you don't have a Manual, it's a wise investment if you plan to keep the vehicle. Any other questions, please ask. Best of luck with your project.

Old 04-26-2015, 11:19 PM
Super Moderator

:welcome. Go over to the new member area and introduce yourself !

For the record, the OP posted over a year ago and was nixed for inactivity so we'll never know what happened. But we always appreciate helpful technical comments. Preferably on more recent posts......: