Detailing Discuss detailing your ride inside and out here...

I'm Painting the 94 SC2 (again)

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2016, 06:33 AM

It's been a hobby Ruby most of my life. In high school I dreamed of making it an avocation and I probably was not all that good at identifying goals and then figuring out how to achieve them. Fast forward to today and I am probably reliving something to satisfy a lost dream.
Anyway
It is obvious today that most vehicles are not made to be repaired. But few ever were. The one that might actually represent that, the Ford Maverick is shadowed with the performance in accidents.
Anyway it is Valeries car and I made a promise to keep it up and in good shape. She is unable to drive the car and has been actually since before the first time I painted it. I've kept my promise and if seeing it helps her recover from the lung transplant it will have been worth it.
I have to get it out in the driveway now and make a point of using it. The head lights have stopped coming up from their rest position and I know I have bits and pieces that may be needed, you sent them to me and they are in my parts stash. I'll look deeper into that problem in a short bit. Thanks for the compliment and the parts.

Old 10-17-2016, 08:15 AM

You're quite welcome, Unc. I don't have access to the Nashville Pull-A-Part anymore, but tooter does as well as another one. If you need some obscure parts, by all means, let me know and I'll see what I can do at the few places I've found here.

Old 11-10-2016, 12:48 AM

Now that the car looks nice again, it gets driven a little more than it did. Sitting around has not helped the various switches and things, specifically the turn signal stalk controlled whatevers. To day on a run to the west side I got the head lights to actually turn on. The stalk is working iffy but I heard a rumor Rock Auto has them, so I think I will go check.
The thing remains, a darn nice little car!

Old 11-10-2016, 05:37 AM

A can of CRC Electrical Contact Cleaner can do wonders for sticky switches, Unc.

Old 11-10-2016, 06:29 AM

The turn signal stalk disappears inside the steering column housing, how do you get the spray pattern down inside for it to do any good? The Saturn being designed in 1992 was an early proponent of all the steering wheel based controls, you ought to see what goes on with my 2016 Dodge I still haven't figured out how to turn on the dang windshield wipers but half the time I want to turn or change lanes something new takes place.

Old 11-11-2016, 06:59 AM

Hmmm, I guess you'd have to take the damn thing apart, Unc. I don't have a Saturn anymore to go look at and have forgotten how they even look.

Old 11-11-2016, 10:41 PM
Super Moderator

I have a 1st gen Saturn Chilton Manual (91 to 93). if you can look the part up on Rockauto and confirm 93 and 94 are the same design for the multi function switch, I'll look in there.

Don't know how much removing the lower shroud below the steering wheel will expose........
Pretty sure you have to pull the steering wheel to replace the multi function switch,so likely the same would be true for getting at the guts of the switch-----as in removing the switch from the car and disassembling as necessary.

Old 11-15-2016, 03:49 PM

Aha! Good news! The head lights started working. I was hoping that just driving the car and occasionally rotating the switch would cause what ever oxidation had built up on it would wear back off.
And now for the bad news, I stopped by the Local Chevy Dealer to check on some parts and after fending off the new breed of sales that becomes offensive if you do not show some enthusiasm over riding around in a golf cart looking at inventory I staggered into the parts department only to discover that the parts for the sun roof have been deleted from inventory.
Wasn't there some aftermarket company that dealt with parts for it?
Valerie wanted me to get it working but so far she has accepted that I won't work on it with out being able to get parts. We both liked the feature but it was for ever a problem.

Old 11-15-2016, 10:45 PM
Super Moderator

Unc,

I take it you already have the GM part #s for what you need.

Please post with the official GM part name.

Old 11-16-2016, 08:35 AM

Derf;
No, the parts counter rep printed out from their reader two pages apparently or portions there of from a parts manual showing the individual pieces that make up the sun roof and there was a bunch. But there were numbers that represented the parts and the number look up on another page gave part numbers of the pieces. So no GM part numbers.
I would imagine though that if I went back and asked for them I could get them, or at lest some of them so it would not appear to be a back breaking of a project.
I accumulated a micro fishe reader years ago and a set of AMC microfishe thinking I would be able to read others if done on the same format, but never ran across others. I wonder if Saturn fishe are floating around some where.

Quick Reply: I'm Painting the 94 SC2 (again)