Audio/Visual Electronics Wired up? Everyone's got some sort of electrical modification... let's hear about it here...

New head unit

Search this Thread

Old 03-22-2016, 04:34 PM
Default New head unit

Proud to say I put it in myself. Lol

Attached Thumbnails New head unit-20160317_154811-1.jpg  
Old 03-23-2016, 03:30 AM
Super Moderator

nice.

Does it work?

Old 03-23-2016, 09:49 AM

Yes, it works great!!!

Old 03-23-2016, 10:19 AM
Super Moderator

speakers are.......?

Old 03-23-2016, 12:13 PM

The two in the front doors are stock. The two in the back were busted, so I replaced them with some cheap 6.5" Sonys that I got from Walmart.

Old 03-25-2016, 03:23 AM
Super Moderator

If you spend a decent amnt of time in your ride, I'd save up some greenbacks and move those Sony's to the front and put in a nicer pair in the back which have some clear bass. You've already dropped coin on the head unit---save up for a nice pair in the back to get the most out of the setup

Just my opinion.

Old 03-25-2016, 08:28 AM

Yes, I'll be checking my options once I get some other stuff done. I replaced the back speakers immediately due to the stocks in the back being busted. Then the radio died, otherwise I would have left things stock for a while. I have a box with two twelves that will handle the bass eventually. I've never been totally happy with the bass from any 6.5" speaker. But for now it actually sounds way better than I expected.

Old 03-25-2016, 11:04 AM
Super Moderator

Can't say I disagree. I bought a 4 pack of Polk 6.5s a while back and I was amazed at the clarity of bass and the depths of it for being a 6.5.

Without the infusion of incredibly neat new materials with mechanical and wave propagation properties that blow what we have off the scale, physics kinda limits what you can reproduce frequency wise and clarity wise AT AN AFFORDABLE COST for a 6.5. They are out there, but a 4 pack prob costs more than the Satty is worth, so unless you plan to carry them forward into every vehicle you own until you are 70, they're just not cost effective.

I've never understood the fascination w subwoofers in the trunk that rattle the vehicle. While I understand that the human ear can only hear down to say 20 Hz, rattling the vehicle with huge blasts of sonic energy from 40Hz down, back in the trunk, loses the clarity of the last 20Hz I CAN hear (and are my favorite 20 Hz) and although I can feel the subsonic frequencies rattling my spinal column up through the seat frame, I'm not quite sure the benefits of that outweigh a really nice tradit premium 4 speaker setup, if you use the $$ spent on a subwoofer and amp towards the 4 pack of nice ones.

Maybe it is NOT all that cost ineffective after all, depending on what your plans are. Not sure why the amps need to be added -- it is plenty loud off a stock unit -- unless it's a "mine is bigger than yours" argument which everybody loses.....their hearing.

Could one of you younger guys please explain this all to this middle aged guy who is a semi audiophile (= picky about how his music sounds) but hates sonic mud?

Thanks

Old 03-25-2016, 01:21 PM

Definitely personal preference and may depend on your preferred genre of music. I am in no rush to put the subs in. I may even just do one. Seriously, it sounds THAT good and loud right now. I think the new radio has added some clarity and depth to the sound that wasn't there before. One sub was plenty in one of my previous cars. I have the subs and amps laying around so it wont be much extra $$$. I would tune the sub so that there wouldn't be a ton of rattle. But i cant lie, I do prefer to get a little of that 808 drum vibration in my spinal column!

Old 03-31-2016, 11:39 AM

Actually, Derf, the purpose of an amp is to get clearer sound at high levels than the factory unit can make or even some aftermarket units... I would love to get a nice four channel amp with 200-300 watts to drive the four speakers in my Saturn(and possibly my Chevy) with... Though it all depends on how loud you like to listen to the music..

Quick Reply: New head unit