Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Help with 96 SL2

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2005, 02:53 PM

hey guys, having some issues with my wife's SL2. On occasion it won't start, the electrics come on fine it just won't turn over, then you come back 20 minutes or so, sometimes not always it will crank right up just fine. I was thinking starter, so to try it I tightened the electrical connections to make sure they weren't loose and it has been working fine until yesterday she got stranded at the gas station. I had already purchased the starter from before and now I guess I am going to change it out. Does anybody think it could be something else? Any opinions, suggestions,and feed back is welcomed. Thanks ahead, Scott.

Old 06-24-2005, 05:31 PM

Does anybody post in this forum?

Old 06-25-2005, 04:08 PM
Administrator

when it doesnt start, does it crank and crank, or just a set of rapid clicks? i would have replied sooner, but i was having computer problems...

Old 06-26-2005, 12:37 AM

No it made no noise, only one electrical click when you tried to turn it over, all the power worked fine, I took it off this morning, put the new one on, was fairly easy and it has started fine since them. Thanks for the reply though, I was getting a little disappointed by the forum.

Old 06-27-2005, 08:26 PM
Administrator

wow...youre starter must have really been fried...the starters that i have dealt with that went bad would do the short rapid clicks...or just a grinding sound....ive evenr seen bad starters ruin flywheels...[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]

Old 08-31-2005, 08:38 AM

Do Saturn's have a solenoid for the starter? If so, I'd check that first. That would cause the problem if it was bad.

(Sorry, mustang guy here, new to Saturns as of last night)

Old 08-31-2005, 02:16 PM

yeah they do, and I feel that was the problem, but thanks Saturn for not making that an option for replacement, had to replace the whole thing, wasn't too bad, just one pain in the *** bolt to get to, that I got real lucky when putting the new one on and got the hole on the first blind stab.

Old 09-06-2005, 10:52 AM

This may sound remedial, but do you have the clutch all the way to the floor each time you turn the key in the ignition? I bought my 97 SL2 used and didn't know that there is an ignition block unless the clutch is all the way to the floor. Until I learned about this, there were intermittent instances(when I was too lazy to put put the clutch all the way to the floor) where the car wouldn't start; no clicking, no attempt to turn over.

Now I have a different problem with the same result. When I try to start the car, there is no attempt to turn over and no clicking. I think it has something to do with the alarm ignition block. My keyless entry won't activate anything, even after battery replacement. I'm thinking it might be the alarm receiver. Anyone have experience with this?

Old 09-07-2005, 02:08 AM

Nah, this is an automatic (wife's car)so I know that wasn't the case, thanks for the help though, Definetely check the receiver, b/c if your not getting anything from the keyless then that sounds like a good place to start. I drive a Mazda and every now and then I have to hit the keyless remote in the palm of my hand to make it function properly, not very often and my problem could be battery related.