Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1992 SL2 Problems...again...

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2007, 06:44 PM

Hey guys, got my car running pretty smoothely, until about 3 weeks ago. I have the performance/normal switch (as I'm sure most the twin cams do) and I've been running it on normal lately to try and save a little gas. Lately I've been noticing that the temp guage seems to be malfunctioning and staying near the very bottom, and then it'll barely hit the quarter mark after a half hour of driving. Mind you, I usually let it warm up for about 10 minutes in the morning before I leave. Is this a bad temp sensor or just a broken guage? Or maybe something else entirely?

P.S. All fluid levels were topped off just before this started happening. Is there any relation to that maybe?

Also, sunroof won't latch shut on one side, always have to keep pushing it down so it won't leak. Any tips on this would be appreciated as well.

Old 01-23-2007, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like bad coolant temp sensor (ECTS). Replace with brass-tipped ECTS and connector (Saturn only-part) if you have not already done so in earlier troubleshooting.

92 had separate temp sensors for the ECTS and the dash gauge -- it is possible (but unlikely that the dash guage) (single wire) sensor is bad. Meaning it could simply be a gauge/sensor issue.

Or, it could be real --symptoms are also consistent with a thermostat stuck open.

Do you get heat in the car as quickly as before, or does it take a significantly longer time to get heat in the cabin?

Derf

Old 01-23-2007, 03:04 PM

When its very cold it takes a while to warm up, but thats usual, but once the engine seems to warm up a bit it gets warm pretty quick. I've been noticing too that when I get out of the car, I shock myself on the door. This has also happened to my gf and my dad. Could this mean there is a hot wire touching the frame somewhere that could be interfering with the temp guage?

Old 01-24-2007, 02:50 AM
Super Moderator

winter --> low humidity = zap !

Static discharge. Normal (and annoying).

Old 01-24-2007, 02:56 AM

Yeah. I was thinking that, but just curious. Going to check the ECTS tomorrow probably. Replaced spark plugs today with Boschplatinum +4s and seems to be running a lot smoother. Still having problems with temp guage and sunroof though. Found out main problem with the sunroof though. One of the trapezoid shaped locks seems broken, which allows the passenger side hydraulic to lift slightly, causing a leak in wet weather. Any easy way to fix it?

Old 01-24-2007, 03:04 AM
Super Moderator

Many people end up having issues with the Pt plugs in the S cars -- most stay with the stock NGK plugs and the stock wires...if you start getting SES lights that indicate ignitition related codes, it won't be a shocker---but you'll know the fix.....

I take it you had not replaced the ECTS earlier, then?

Old 01-24-2007, 03:10 AM

No not yet, and I've had a SES light for a while, since I replaced the Neutral Safety Switch. Yes, I did it the way the Chiltons book said, checking for continuity and all of that. It keeps saying its throwing a transmission code though. Had Red D Transmission take a look at it, and they couldn't find anything. Also, the car has had platinum plugs in it since I bought it back in 2003.

I'm going to look into the ECTS tomorrow though for sure. Thanks for all your help Derf

Old 01-24-2007, 03:14 AM
Super Moderator

What is the actual code you're getting (numerical code)?

Old 01-24-2007, 03:16 AM

Not sure exactly. I'm not even sure if its still throwing the same code. I'll check it out tomorrow and post then cause its cold as...well its just cold. I have an AutoZone right around the corner anyhow, so I'll just take it over there and have them check it.