Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

prblems

Search this Thread

Old 01-17-2007, 01:56 AM

my saturn 126k on it...if i put 87 octane in it and its cold, it doesnt want to crank so i have to keep peddling the gas peddle for it to crank then when it does crank it sounds like a mis fire and blows out a crap load of smoke....any answers? i dont wanna keep paying 2.67 for 93 becuz thats the only gas that it wont do it with

Old 01-18-2007, 12:35 AM
Super Moderator

Doesn't want to crank </span>or doesn't want to fire</span>? Cranking should have nothing to do with the octane in your gas tank (though once the intermittent firing gets underway, it is helping to turn the engine)......

The care may fire </span>and start more easily on higher octane fuel...I have always run 89 in all my Saturns and it seems to work well.

Change your fuel filter lately? Injectors flushed? Battery in good shape?

Every once in a blue moon I get the "sputter/doesn't want to start/lazy half-assed crank syndrome during winter". I have always wondered why this is --I'm thinking that there is either water vapor that has crystallized out on the plugs or crystallized on one or more of the injectors (from moisture in the gas) , thereby inhibiting cold firing. Decreased compression as the engine wears in these cars doesn't help you either....

Dunno, really