Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

help with 97 sc2 please!

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 12:11 AM

hi. I have a 97 saturn sc2, 1.9L DOHC, automatic. I recently purchased this car, running very rough, smokes a little upon initial start, then stops blowing smoke after about 10 seconds, and continues to run rough. I used the Genisys scanner on it today at work, and it threw a trouble code p0711b TFT Sensor Ciruit. I have read that the ECT sensor will throw a TFT sensor code also... but will the ECT cause my car to run like this if it cracked? I have massive wetness on that side of the engine, under the intake piping and on that little canister with the connector on top (EVAP solenoid im guessing?) But my buddy at work, says its just blowby from the PCV tube. He also said to replace the TFT sensor and the car would run good again, but it appears that sensor is inside the tranny and would require removal of the tranny according to some GM diagrams i looked at tonight... so my question to you saturn gurus out there, is where do I start? ECT or TFT? and if you say ECT, why would my car run so crappy with a collant sensor gone bad? also, if i remember correctly, when i was working on the car, trying to diag the problem, the coolant temp did not change from flat cold for about 15 minutes.. but the car ran rough. Im told the car was overheating last week (I just bought it to fix, the price was perfect) but it has not overheated for me yet... just runs real nasty.... So anyone with saturn experience, please advise me on this, I myself am an auto tech, but I am lost on this one.

incase you are going to ask, p0711b tft sensor circuit, is the only code this car is throwing.Edited by: mygsrtegn757

Old 11-11-2006, 02:42 AM

P0117-electronic coolant temprtature (ECT) sensor circuit low input
The CTS tells the cars computer the operating temperature of the motor and the computer adjusts the air/fuel mixture accordingly.A non-functioning CTS is like applying a manual choke in the days of carburated engines to a motor that is at normal operating temperature. When you change out the CTS buy the metal tipped one, it will last longer.Less than $10. Hope this helps

Old 11-11-2006, 02:49 AM

This is a goog thread on this problem.
www.saturnfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=37884

Old 11-15-2006, 09:31 PM

thanks for all the help... i fixed the saturn.. replaced the ECT sensor, the Torque Axis mount, Valve cover gasket set, and spark plugs.. all Saturn OEM parts. I have to say for 105,000 miles on this car, it runs perfect... now I just have to figure out where the water leak is coming from that is soaking my carpet and headliner. I assume the Sunroof, I have seen it many times before with drain tubes.. but by chance does anyone have an answer to this problem before I start looking possibly? ;] thanks in advance, you people are awesome. Edited by: mygsrtegn757