Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

Service Light

Search this Thread

Old 10-31-2006, 07:49 PM

I own a 97 SW1 and the service lioght is on...what does this mean. Thanks

Old 11-02-2006, 02:39 AM

It means that the PCM has set an error code due to the information sent to it by the various parts of the motors management system. You can go to Auto Zone or Advanced Auto Parts/etc. to have a hand held scanner (OBD II) read the error code or codes that are in the PCM's memory.(for free)The error code, usually a letter followed by three numbers (examlpe P041), refers to the part of the motors management system that is responsible for sending the information that caused the PCM to set the error code. You will need to post the error code or buy a Chilton or Haynes repair manual ($15) to get the error code/part correlation. This information can point you in the right direction as to what needs to be repaired or cleaned to bring back the motors management sytem to full functionality.
So without knowing the error codes stored on your cars computer I would not be able to tell you specifically what that light is trying to tell you.

Edited by: paulorlo

Old 11-02-2006, 02:49 AM

Now just to add on to this, if I may, There's a "Service Engine Soon" light and a "Service (with a picture of wrench)" light. What the difference there?

Linx3566: What light do you have on?

Mine just came up this afternoon, "Service Engine Soon", with about 103,000 miles on it. I have a '97 SW2 by the way.Does this need a scan tool as well, or is this just areminder to get the car looked at and someone has to turn the light off. Can turning the light off be done by me? Linx3566 great question, I just wanted to add to it. Thanks for any help...

Old 11-02-2006, 11:18 AM

the light I am experiencing is the Service light with a wrench. Funny thing happening is that I have done nothing and now the light is gone. If a condition existed and casued the light to come on is it safe to say that if the condition is no longer for what ever reason will the light go off on its own??? or do you need to reset? because mines went off on its own. very strange.....

Old 11-02-2006, 12:12 PM

The SES light has two settings. Light flashing-a misfire condition has been detected. Light on steady-An emission control system malfunction has been detected.
Service light ( wrench)-non emission related failure.
Both lights can or cannot reset themselves depending on the code that is set on the PCM. If the light does not go off, it either means that the problem continues to exist or the code needs to be erased. In either case the PCM does store the error code for a specific period of time. Get the codes scanned as stated above. Eventually these lights do and will go on and stay on as the vehicle gets older and parts need to be replaced or cleaned.

Old 11-02-2006, 12:27 PM

Cool, thanks for the clearing that up for us. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 11-02-2006, 02:46 PM

An update:

I went to Autozone to get that free scan and it came up with a P0300 code, but the girl couldn't tell me what the code was, so I looked it up, it's a multiple cylinder misfire code. So, I'm going to do a tune up and hope that clears it up. But it also did what Linx3566 described, the light went off, but I never did anything yet. I'm still going to do the tune up, but does this means that I don't have to get mylight cleared at a dealership or something? I'm confused on why this light turned off, also noticed the car was running a bit smoother when that light went off. [img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]

Old 11-03-2006, 02:29 AM

I would suggest the tune up- copper spark plugs/new ignition wires/new air filter/inspect CTS/ clean EGR valve and ignition control module. If the SES light turned off it means that the information sent to the PCM from the various engine management parts was correct over a certain time interval, which caused the PCM to turn the light off. If the SES light is off, then there are no error codes that need to be cleared. However, as the car ages the problems start out as intermittant and at some point change to continuous. Right now something is causing a multiple cylinder misfire error code to be set on an intermittant basis. Hopefully the tune up will solve the problem.[img]smileys/smiley17.gif[/img]

Old 11-05-2006, 04:39 PM

I went ahead and completed the tune up and then took it for a drive, not short after that the service engine soon light did go off. Thanks for the help.

Chris

Old 11-06-2006, 02:08 AM

Great! Thanks for letting me know it solved the problem[img]smileys/smiley1.gif[/img]