Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

94 MT Problem... HELP

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2006, 05:41 AM

Ok well i just got this car a week or so ago... and there is something wrong with the tranny oridgionally i was thinking it was asynchro prob at first but i am not sure now that i have been driving it around...

First gear is fine.

Second gear is fine.

Third gear makes this weird *** grind noise when the clutch is all the way to the floor. But it only dose it if i try and shift and the RPMs are over 2k but under that it goes rite in... and the grind noise gets worse the higher it is from 2k.

Fourth gear dose the same as Third but insted of 2k RPMs it happends at andabove 3k RPMs.

Fifth gear is fine.

If anyone knows what could be wrong please help me...

Old 09-24-2006, 03:37 PM

Almost sounds like clutch is slipping. Try this: with the car parked, ignition on, depress clutch and shift into 5, with your right foot, hold down the gas and the brake (or use the ebrake if it's strong), let off the clutch slowly (like you would when going into 1), if the car keeps running, your clutch is slipping, car should stall. You don't need to be heavy on the gas, treat it like your going into first gear.

Hope this helps, i use this test when i go car shopping. It's very hard to notice a clutch problem because it is a wear item and it wears slowly (or at least it should). This test goes to the extreme to make a problem more noticeable.

Tim

Old 10-17-2007, 12:56 AM

I believe if it were a clutch slipping it would happen in ALL gears not just two. I have the same problem but only in third. Maybe syncros in the trans. Mine also like to slip out of third gear. Any suggestions.

Old 10-17-2007, 08:01 PM

syncros