Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

my Saturn problem

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2006, 08:46 PM

I have recently bought a 95 Saturn not sure if SL1 or 2. I purchased the car from a couple who only drove it to and back from train station in NJ. The car only has 90,000 miles and everything works. I have noticed that when i take sudden turn or sudden stop the rpms start to jump around and the car stalls. I have recently taken it to a shop and spent $450 on a Idle air speed control motor and a UNY 3-step fuel system cleaning. Even after that it drove better but today as i drove i felt as if someone was "play/pause" its was kind of stalling but i guess because i was driving about MPH it couldn't but i still knew what was going on. Please if anyone out there experienced this problem or has a solution please let me know.

Old 08-01-2006, 12:20 AM
Super Moderator

Sounds like EGR needs to be serviced (cleaned/replaced). Probably gunked up with carbon. Especially if car was only driven around town to the train station (and not much at highway speeds).

EGR valve sticking will cause the gyrations in rpm, followed by stalling, when you decelerate (slow down quickly). EGR isues on S cars are quite common due to the excessive oil burning usually involved.

Fuel system cleaning---probably needed it
IAC -- think you probably got taken (especially if the service engine soon light was not on/no codes)

EGR can be removed and cleaned (also clean the ports where it attaches), or you can get a new one from Saturn for about $180-200.
Also -- replace ETCS-- engine coolant temp sensor -- and the connector -- use Saturn parts here (connector is Saturn only). Original design of sensor cracked and failed. Replacement sensor is all brass. (The ETCS has two wires attached to it; the temp sensor for the dash gauge has only 1.)

Let us know

Derf