Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

HELP HELP HELP!!

Old 06-19-2006, 08:23 PM

Hello, I'm new to the site and need some MAJOR help!! I have a 2001 SL-2 saturn... I am not completley car illiterate, but I don't know a whole lot either. My car has been losing oil for awhile, but I have just kept adding it when needed and doing my oil changes on time...

I go to start up my car this morning and it stars up and in about 2second intervals, I hear a clanky sound comming from under my hood, and there is a large amount of white smoke comming out of the exauhst. I have no idea what is going on and I am afraid to put my car into gear. I knew I was running low, so I just added 3quarts of oil to my car. Any kind of help would be MUCH appreciated.

Thank you

AJ

Old 06-20-2006, 01:20 PM

Have you noticed any oil on the ground after letting it sit for a while?

White smoke usually doesn't mean burning oil, I would worry if there was a blueish smoke. Then the car would be burning the oil.

As for the sound, a "clanky sound coming from under the hood" doesn't really help. You'll have to try and listen and localize the sound(s).

Old 06-21-2006, 01:37 AM
Super Moderator

Eeeeek --

You were 3 quarts low on oil? The car only holds 4-ish...!! You are asking for internal damage with that little oil in the engine...

If you weren't actually 3 quarts low but added it anyway, that's not good either....

White smoke in the exhaust is indicative of burning coolant (coolant in the cylnders) -- which most commonly results from a failing or blown head gasket. I would most definitely worry about this.

If it is continuously spewing white smoke, the head gasket is probably already toast.

I am assuming you are not confusing white smoke with steam that sometimes results from moisture boiling off in the exhaust as the car warms up....

Derf

Old 06-26-2006, 06:02 PM

Sometimes oil burning can look white-ish based on which oil you are using. If you overfilled your oil, it will burn off alot of the excess. Usually you can tell burning oil by smell, as it is unique.

Did you check your oil level before you added more, and did you check between quarts? After each quart you should turn over the engine and then let it sit for a bit before checking the level of oil.

The clanking sound can be caused by lack of oil/lube for the engine.
Have you run the engine since, and does it still make the clanking sound?

Old 06-27-2006, 01:25 AM

I think I blew a head gasket.. if anybody knows about how much that would cost.. or any kind of smiliar problems that could be confused with that.

Search this Thread