Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

high idle

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2006, 05:40 AM
Banned

I have a 1994 Saturn SL 1 228k miles. It has been running great till now. It started to idle high. I put new plugs and wires. My brother told me to tap on egr to see if that would help. "NOPE", It smokes some just when I start it., It acts like its flooded, but it is not as far as I can tell. I am going to use carb cleaner and double check hoses and intake gasket. But does any one know what I can do to stop it You can email me at henrylford@yahoo.com Edited by: henrylford

Old 01-21-2006, 08:28 AM

Has the ECTS very been changed? The ECTS and it's connector are common failure parts that can effect fuel/air mix. Also pull the EGR and scrape out thecarbon build up on the air by pass port seal seats. Make sure that the plunger is free moving and when it closed that it's got a good seal. One more thing that needs to done, pull the throttle body. On the back side of the air restricter plate your going to find oil crud build up, clean it up and the vacuum ports on the top of the TB. Next you need use a shop vac to suck all of the sludge out of the intake manifold. Make yourself a giant Q-tip to get out as much as you can. If you notice, there's a blow by hose that connects the valve cover to the intake manifold, that's where all of this oily crap comes from.

Old 01-22-2006, 12:13 AM
Banned

What is the ECTS and where is it on the engine. I have a 1.9L SOHC. I do know where it EGR is but never heard of the ECTS

thanks

henry

Edited by: henrylford

Old 01-22-2006, 08:05 AM

ECTS (engine control temp sensor). It a small coolant temp sensor tucked into driver's side of the engine block. Standing in front the engine, look on the right side of the block. You will see a single wire temp gauge sensor a little up and behind the oil and trans dip sticks. THAT'S NOT IT! Now if feel about 6 inches behind the temp sensor, you'll find a TWO wire sensor tucked into the block like a mini- spark plug. That's it. You are going to have to remove the air duct from the air filter to the throttle body to get to it. If you still have the data plate on the radiator cross beam it should show you where it is. It's best to go get a new one before you start so you know what you dealing with. An old style resin tip at Auto Zone is under $10 and is good for a couple of years. The new brass tip replacements are a little over $20 at a Saturn dealer. They have a snap connector which you need to use needle nose pliers to squeeze together to get it off. You are going to need a 1/2 deep well socket to get the sensor out. Kept the new sensor handy and ready to go because you'll be dumping coolant while the sensor is out. Check thesnap connector for corrosion and make sure you wiresare in good shape. The old style tips crack and can damage the wire harness.ECTS replacement is automatic if you don't have the brass tip ones installed, when you've got any kind of fuel/air problem.

Old 01-22-2006, 08:24 PM
Banned

Thank you. I know right where it is. I know the wires was loose a few months ago. I will replace it as soon as possible

thanks

henry

Old 01-24-2006, 03:26 AM
Banned

I got a ects for $8.00 and the new one was brass tip. While I was changing it I broke the connector so i have to get another one at the junk yard. It was missed up at first any way. I hope this does it. If it dont any other ideas that you can give me. I realy like this car and would like to keep it, If not I will have to get another car I hope a Saturn

Old 01-24-2006, 06:52 AM

Yeah, do the EGR, intake manifold, and TB clean up which I mentioned above. My 95 has 213k on it, idles at 600 rpm, gets 30 mpg, and runs smooth as silk.

Old 01-25-2006, 01:56 AM
Banned

I have cleaned the egr and fuel injector as will i made a connector but will go to the junk yard here and get one as soon as possible. It is running a little better. Before it missed up it was getting up to 35mpg. I really like the car and want to keep it. I really want to thank you for all the help.

Old 01-31-2006, 01:12 AM
Banned

I want to thank you. I got the connector at the local junk yard (cost 0). When I put it on it started running 100% better. Thank god i got it fixed in time. My wifes dodge intrepid crapped out. Got her a car today. She did not wat a saturn. I tried and talk her into it but she got a rice burner LOL

thanks again