Saturn S Series Sedan SL, SL1, and SL2

1996 SL2 with Starting problem

Old 02-26-2005, 07:47 PM

My daughters 1996 SL2 will not start. When the key is turned, absolutely nothing. Checked the fuses in the center console and in under-hood junction box. All were fine. I assumed in must be the solenoids, so, with some difficulty, I removed the starter/solenoid intending to replace the unit. At the parts store, the unit was tested, and worked perfectly. The battery is new, and all cables are in good shape.

My next suspicion is the key switch. When key is turned to the 'start' position, I get a definate 'clicking' sound coming from the center console fuse block, which seems like it might be indicating that the switch is functioning (can anyone tell me if this is true?). I'd like to test the switch externally, with my multi-meter, since taking it out requires steering wheel removal (I don't want to have to do it if it isn't necessary). My main obstical to testing the switch externally is that I'm not sure which fuses in the block correspod to the switch - the fuse block is quite different than the one pictured in my Haynes manual, and has no numbers (anyone else ever seen this? - I can provide a picture it would help). And, the Haynes manual provides no information how I would test it. I'm guessing that if I knew which to fuses where connected to the key switch, I could test for 12 volt at the fuse block with switch in various positions. Am I on the right track here?

Alternatively, if anyone can think of other areas I need to consider, I would greatly appreciate input - my frustration level in growing quite high at this point.

Thanks in advance,

Stephen Werner

Slwerner6@comcast.net

Old 02-26-2005, 09:21 PM

hey i know how that goes, hate to brake it to u but what you have is an electrical nightmare. the swich is clicking with means it works but you are poping the circuit. that click click noise it is probliey going on/off real fast... if so its time for you to rip apart the dash and check wires you have a short to ground somewhere that is why it wont pop any fuses. but before you do any of that. check on VERY IMPORTANT thing. she might have a bad relay. sometimes you might get lucky and that be it that you can check w/ a mulimeter and if it is bad its anywhere from $5 to $80 at the parts store. if you need help or any parts i have 95 SL2 that i have that i need to sell i blew my head gasket for the 3rd time and i said @#$@ it. went and got a new car. i will sell u any parts you need or the hole car for 1000 let me know what u find out i will be more then willing to help you out. i bilt so many of these cars from gound up.

jon

Old 02-26-2005, 09:27 PM

[img]smileys/smiley7.gif[/img]damn cars!!!